An IT security audit is an important process that should be performed regularly in order to protect your business from potential cyber threats.
In this blog post, we’ll explore what an IT security audit is, why it’s important, and the top 5 IT security audit companies. We’ll also look at the steps for an IT security audit and best practices for protecting your company’s information.
IT security audit: what does it mean?
An IT security audit is an in-depth review of information system security to determine how well it meets established standards. A comprehensive assessment typically examines the physical configuration and settings of the system, as well as software, data processing procedures, and user practices.
Why is IT security audit necessary?
Companies should perform regular cybersecurity audits to prevent cyberattacks. Security controls are essential because they help businesses defend against potential cyberattacks. By discovering vulnerabilities, companies can take precautions to minimize risk and avoid costly data breaches.
Top 5 IT Security Audit Companies – Key Services
When choosing a IT security audit company, it is important to consider the extent of their services, their experience and their reputation. The top 5 IT security audit companies are:
- Astra: automated and manual penetration testing, website protection, compliance reporting
- Intruder: cloud security, vulnerability assessment, penetration testing, network security
- Cipher: cyber intelligence services, cyber technology integration, managed security services,
- IBM: cognitive security, mobile security, situational awareness and response
- McAfee: network security, server security, antivirus, database security, endpoint protection
What systems does an IT security audit cover?
An IT security audit can cover a variety of systems, including:
- Physical security systems, such as CCTV cameras and alarm systems
- Components such as firewalls and intrusion detection/prevention systems
- Access control systems, such as passwords and biometrics
Steps of an IT security audit
Performing an IT security audit doesn’t have to be complicated – just follow a few steps:
- Define objectives — The first step is to define the objectives of the audit. What do you want to accomplish?
- Plan the audit — Once you know what you want to achieve, you can start planning the audit. This includes deciding who will perform the audit, which systems will be covered and how long it will take.
- Perform the audit work – The next step is where you actually perform the audit. This involves assessing your company’s information systems and identifying vulnerabilities.
- Report the results — After performing the audit, it’s time to report the results. Documenting discovered vulnerabilities and proposing mitigation strategies is one of the most important aspects of an IT security audit.
- Take Action – The ultimate step is to take action based on what you have learned from the audit. This may include implementing new security measures or updating existing ones.
Explore the Top 5 IT Security Auditing Companies
Now that we’ve explained what a computer security audit is and why it’s important, let’s take a closer look at the top five computer security audit companies.
Astra is a world-class provider of IT security solutions. They offer a wide range of services, including external and internal security audits, risk assessments, and vulnerability assessments. Astra’s PENTEST Suite is a flexible solution for companies looking for automated vulnerability scans or manual penetration testing. They assess your assets against the OWASP top 10, SANS 25 and all necessary ISO 27001, SOC2, HIPAA and GDPR compliance tests with over 3000 tests.
Intruder is a cybersecurity company that works globally and helps businesses reduce their risk of attack with a simple cybersecurity solution. Intruder’s product, a cloud-based vulnerability scanner, scans for security vulnerabilities across digital infrastructure.
Intruder is a software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution that provides enhanced controls, continuous monitoring, and an easy-to-use platform to help organizations of all sizes protect against hackers. Over the past two years, Intruder has won numerous awards and been chosen for GCHQ’s Cyber Accelerator since its inception in 2015.
Cipher is a cybersecurity company that provides comprehensive white glove services to businesses to protect them from intruders. Cipher, a cybersecurity subsidiary of Prosegur, combines a deep understanding of cybersecurity and physical security with an awareness of IoT security.
IBM is a computer hardware, software, middleware, hosting and consulting company that serves a variety of industries, from mainframe computers to nanotechnology. IBM is one such computer security company that provides computer security services to the US federal government.
The security offered by McAfee does not only include computers and cloud computing. Individuals and businesses can benefit from their security products. McAfee provides services to three distinct lines of business: finance, healthcare and government.
IT Security Audit Scope
An information technology security audit is an examination of your company’s IT systems and procedures. It is used to detect vulnerabilities and propose remediation strategies. The scope of an IT security check may be limited by the size and complexity of your company’s IT assets.
10 Best Practices for IT Security Audit
There are a few best practices to follow when performing an IT security audit:
- Define the objectives of the audit upstream
- Plan the audit carefully
- Thoroughly carry out the audit work
- Report results in a concise and easy to understand manner
- Take action based on what you find during the audit
- Regularly review and update your security policies and procedures for better security
- Organize regular safety training for employees
- Implement security controls to mitigate risk
- Regularly monitor your systems
- Stay informed of the latest computer security threats.
IT security plan
A thorough IT security audit is an essential part of any IT security plan. It is important to perform an audit at least once a year to identify vulnerabilities and mitigate risks.
When choosing an IT security audit company, it is important to consider the scope of their services, their experience and their reputation.
The best IT security audit companies should also be able to provide a detailed report with recommendations to mitigate risk.